Laser Triggered Tutorial
What is Laser Trigger?
Laser trigger is used in application for high-speed photography including wild-life photography, water splash and sports photography. Final results examples:
- Get Equipped: Laser generator module, CamBuddy Pro and firm tripod
- Setup: Make sure all of the cables are set up properly. Place the laser generator in a very stable position facing the CamBuddy Pro’s laser sensor that is located in the front indicator.
- Camera settings: Make sure to focus on the subject and adjust the parameter.
- Flash and lighting: make sure of the lighting to get the perfect shot.
- Shooting and Timing: Timing is really important therefore the laser triggered module will help you achieve it.
CamBuddy Pro is equipped with a laser sensor that is located at the front indicator. When the laser beam is pointed to the CBPro laser sensor and the laser triggered mode has been activated, the moment the laser beam was disrupted the camera shutter will be triggered.
Note: All triggering functions need a shutter release cable to trigger the camera shutter or flash cable to trigger the external flash.
Laser Generator Setup:
Step 1: Cables
Step 2: Connect Cable 1 and cable 2 together.
Step 3: Plug-in cable 2 USB head to any USB power port.
Step 4: See our image below for the laser generator setup outlook.
Step 5: Align the CamBuddy Pro laser sensor with the laser generator.
How to start
- Camera Mode: Manual
- Shooting mode: Laser Triggered
- Parameters Adjustment (ISO, Exposure, White Balance, etc)
- Set the shooting Options (See Picture 2 for more information)
- After all is set, press “Start” to start shooting
Note: When triggering Live View will be turned off automatically.
- Tap the Triggering Scheme
- Choose the triggering scheme: by Shutter, Flash or Radio Signal
- Tap “Confirm” to close triggering scheme interface
Shutter: You will need shutter release cable to trigger your shutter camera.
Flash: You will need flash cable to trigger your external flash.
Radio Signal: You will need radio remote control totrigger by radio signal.
- Focal length: 24mm
- Exposure: F5.6
- Shutter: 1/1250
- ISO: 100
- Accessories: CamBuddy Pro and laser generator
- Camera: Canon EOS 6D
1 Water tank, Several bright, colorful and sinkable fruits Tripod Lighting (the best shooting recommendation is using lighting box/cube/tent)
Timing is the most important factor in capturing the beautiful moment. When the timing is off, “the moment” will be gone. Therefore every photographer need to master this timing skills to grab the best moments in that split seconds.
Normal shooting method:
High-speed continuous shooting, it is recommended to use DSLR camera with the priority is set to the shutter speed. Change your DSLR to continuous shooting mode and set the shutter speed to 1/1000 or higher. With personal experience and sense of judgment, capture the timing, mostly it is done by luck.
Advantage: no accessories is needed and you can start shooting directly.
Disadvantage: human brain response and awareness is slower than the object speed, your reaction time to shoot. You will need extremely high luck and a lot of patience with low success rate.
High-level shooting method:
Trap shooting with laser triggered mode, switch your lens to manual focus. Lock the focus to the focal point of the fruit in the water. Grab the timing right! With the laser triggered mode it is not ideal to trigger the shutter the moment the fruit pass the laser beam. The solution for this is to set a millisecond delay time so that the shutter will be triggered when the fruit reach the water with a beautiful splash. (try to test different delay time to reach perfection)
The advantages: More effective and efficient. It is based on gears and skills not based on luck and the success rate is extremely high!
Disadvantage: Extra module is needed.
Note: CamBuddy Pro laser generator package is needed.
Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ)
Why is the laser trigger failed?
There are several possibilities:
- Strong external light that affecting the laser sensor.
- Cable/power supply is not plug-in properly or damage.
- Please make sure that the CamBuddy Pro is in the laser trigger mode. (the front’s left and right indicator light is off)
- Laser generator are not placed in a stable position.
- Laser beam is not aligned with the CamBuddy Pro’s laser sensor.
Note: if there is a strong external light, please put a hood on the laser sensor which is situated at the CamBuddy Pro’s front indicator.
What kind of photography can be achieved with the laser triggered mode?
- High speed photography including water droplets and fruity water splash
- Wild life photography, it will be very useful for wild life photography as you can set the laser trigger and monitor remotely. When the animal pass through the laser beam, the shutter will be released.
- Sports photograph, this type of photography needs you to be fast and efficient to capture the moment.
Why is the shutter triggered without the laser beam being disrupted?
Please make sure that laser generator is placed in a very stable position. If the laser generator is placed in an unstable position meaning that when the laser generator move the CamBuddy may receive false signals and as a results the shutter is triggered without disruption of laser beam.
Can I use laser triggered mode in networking working mode?
All triggering functions can be used in both standalone and networking mode. So you can trigger multiple CamBuddy Pros and cameras simultaneously. Please change your working mode to Networking mode and then activate the laser triggered mode.
What if my laser generator broken? Can I use common laser pen?
Yes, but we do recommend you to use our laser generator module. We cannot guarantee the laser triggered performance with another laser pen/generator.